Books, Websites, People & Doodles
Books are like teachers. They can bring knowledge to us, and if the timing is right, books can have a very empowering affect. Several of these I have read at just the right time for my personal development and they have shed light on so many useful thoughts, ideas and approaches that I recommend them over and over. Many are older publications that have been repeatedly updated and revised in recent printings.
I can appreciate that reading a book on car repair, if you don't own a car, can be educational but may not be of use solving your problems with a bicycle. So in that light, check out some of these highly rated books on Marketing and Management. They might just help you fix that bicycle.
- Harvey B. MacKay, Swim with the Sharks with out Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate your Competition, 2005 (original publishing date 1988), HarperBusiness.
- Michael E. Gerger, The E Myth (Revisited) Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What To Do About It, 1986, Ballinger Publishing Company
- Kenneth H. Blanchard & Spencer Johnson, The One Minute Manager, 1985, Berkley Publishing Group
- Harry Beckwith, Selling the Invisible, 1997, Warner Books
- Robert B. Cialdini, Ph. D., Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion, 2006, Collins Publishers
- Al Reis & Jack Trout, Positioning, The Battle for Your Mind, 2001, McGraw-Hill Companies
- Jay Conrad Levinson, Gorilla Marketing, 2007, Houghton Mifflin (TRADE)
- Jim A Collins, Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap.....and Others Don't, 2001, William Collin
Periodically I run across useful websites that are good examples of customer centric content, great design, or good information. Here are a few. I'll add to these occasionally so remember to check back every now and then:
www.zieglercooper.com - Ziegler Cooper Architects, Houston, Texas - great design, excellent big project photography; well developed content
www.pagethink.com - Page Architects, Houston, Texas - very thoughtful design and content presentation illustrating diversity of design and geography;
@studioRED - Studio Red Architects, Twitter Feed - well set up, informative design on new projects; corporate culture exposure
w.m-architects.com - m Architects, Houston, Texas - simplicity, clarity and attention to detail and information
www.binkleybarfield.com - Binkley Barfield, Inc. Houston, Texas - illustrates civil engineering as an artful profession, with one hand on reality and one hand on the future.
www.acaciaoriginals.com - Acacia Integrated Millwork Solutions - dynamically displays how the efforts of a few fully motivated craftsmen can produce such beautiful solutions blending multiple materials, electronics and graphics.
In every business, people make it happen. When I work with engaged professionals that consistently deliver positive results to my clients, I like to provide a reference here:
Jud Haggard Photographer - High quality architectural exterior and interior photography
Rebecca Burwell-Botello - Graphic Designer for print and web design, illustrator and photographer.
Andrew Burwell - Graphic and UI for print, web and design; Art Direction
Susan Murphy - Murphy Motivation and Training. The gold standard for training.
Chris Laflin - AVSI Group, Collaboration Technology Specialist. In depth knowledge and experience.
Will Fuller - Acacia Integrated Millwork Solutions. Amazing fabrication of the most beautiful corporate furnishings.